Richard L. Goodwin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Cell Biology & Anatomy
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
||Indiana University – Bachelors of Science – Biological Sciences
||University of South Carolina – Ph.D. – Biology
||Vanderbilt University – Research Fellow – Division of Cardiology
The general research interests of the lab are the mechanisms of development and tissue engineering. Our work has generated a number of 3D in vitro models of myocardial, valvular, and vascular development. These models have been used to investigate a variety of mechanisms in these developing tissues. For example, we have found that fluid flow is required for the expression of critical fibrous proteins in during valve morphogenesis and is dependent of the RhoA signaling cascade. Thus, to make stronger valves faster, a fluid flow bioreactor and stimulation the RhoA pathway is required. The overall aim of our work is to discover new mechanisms of development that enhance the ability to diagnose and treat congenital birth defects and use these discoveries to produce replacement tissues for diseased and damaged tissues.
- Li N, Goodwin RL, Potts JD (2013) Zyxin regulates cell migration and differentiation in EMT during chicken AV valve morphogenesis. Microsc Microanal 19:842-854.
- Tan H, Biechler S, Junor L, Yost MJ, Dean D, Li J, Potts JD, Goodwin RL. Fluid flow forces and rhoA regulate fibrous development of the atrioventricular valves. Dev Biol. 2013 374:345-356.
- Sauls K, de Vlaming A, Harris BS, Williams K, Wessels A, Levine RA, Slaugenhaupt SA, Goodwin RL, Pavone LM, Merot J, Schott JJ, Le Tourneau T, Dix T, Jesinkey S, Feng Y, Walsh C, Zhou B, Baldwin S, Markwald RR, Norris RA (2012) Developmental basis for filamin-A-associated myxomatous mitral valve disease. Cardiovasc Res 96:109-119.
- Valarmathi MT, Fuseler JW, Goodwin RL, Davis JM, Potts JD (2011) The mechanical coupling of adult marrow stromal stem cells during cardiac regeneration assessed in a 2-D co-culture model. Biomaterials 32:2834-2850.
- Tan H, Junor L, Price RL, Norris RA, Potts JD, Goodwin RL (2011) Expression and deposition of fibrous extracellular matrix proteins in cardiac valves during chick development. Microsc Microanal 17:91-100.
Click for older publications