Holly A. LaVoie, Ph.D.
Professor of Cell Biology & Anatomy
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
||College of William and Mary – Bachelors of Science, Biology, Minor in Anthropology
||College of William and Mary – Masters of Arts – Biology
||Medical College of Virginia – Ph.D. – Physiology
||University of Virginia – Post Doctoral Fellow – Molecular Biology and Endocrinology
Our lab studies the transcriptional control of genes mediating ovarian follicular growth, differentiation, and steroidogenesis in the ovary. We are interested in how specific transcription factors such as GATA4, GATA6, and C/EBPs control these processes. Our prior work implicated GATA factors in control of specific genes mediating steroidogenic processes. In particular the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory protein STARD1, which controls the rate-limiting entry of cholesterol into the mitochondrion to initiate steroidogenesis, was identified as a GATA target in luteinized granulosa cells. Our lab uses in vitro molecular approaches to knockdown and overexpress transcription factors in primary cultures of porcine and human ovarian cells. These studies will promote a better understanding of normal ovarian function and disorders such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Luteal Insufficiency.
Another area of interest to our lab is how environmental chemicals affect endocrine and reproductive function. In recent studies of the flame-retardants Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), a low dose of these chemicals was found to alter specific endpoints in the thyroid and reproductive axes of perinatally exposed rats. These studies stress the need to remove these chemicals from the environment.
- Kumar, A, Singh, CK, LaVoie, HA, DiPette, DJ, Singh, US. Resveratrol restores Nrf2 level and prevents ethanol-induced toxic effects in the cerebellum of a rodent model of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Mol. Pharmacol. 2011, 80:446-57.
- Blake, CA, McCoy, GL, Hui, YY, LaVoie, HA. Perinatal exposure to low dose DE-71 increases serum thyroid hormones and gonadal osteopontin gene expression. Exp Biol Med 236:445-455, 2011. (Featured article)
- Singh, CK, Kumar, A, Hitchcock, D, Fan, D, Goodwin, R, LaVoie, HA, DiPette, DJ, Singh, US. Resveratrol attenuates oxidative stress and prevents apoptosis in the embryos of diabetic dams; therapeutic implications in the prevention of diabetic embryopathy. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 55(8):1186-96.
- LaVoie, HA, Kordus, RJ, Nguyen, JB, Barth, JL, Hui YY. GATA depletion impacts insulin-like growth factor 1 mRNA and protein levels in luteinizing porcine granulosa cells. Biol Reprod 83:1015-1026, 2010.
- LaVoie, HA and King, SR. Transcriptional regulation of steroidogenic genes: STARD1, CYP11A1 and HSD3B. Exp Biol Med 234:880-907, 2009 (review).
- Hui, YY and LaVoie, HA. GATA4 reduction enhances cyclic AMP-stimulated steroidogenic acute regulatory protein mRNA and progesterone production in luteinized porcine granulosa cells. Endocrinology 149:5557-5567, 2008.
- Benoit, AM, LaVoie, HA, McCoy, GL, Blake, CA. Expression of sperm protein 22 (SP22) in the rat ovary during different reproductive states. Exp Biol Med 232:910-920, 2007.
- Gillio-Meina, C, Hui, YY, LaVoie, HA. Expression of CCAAT/enhancer binding proteins alpha and beta in the porcine ovary and regulation in primary granulosa cell cultures. Biol Reprod 72:1194-1204, 2005.
- Rusovici, R, Hui, YY and LaVoie, HA. EGF-mediated inhibition of FSH-stimulated StAR gene expression in porcine granulosa cells is associated with reduced histone H3 acetylation. Biol Reprod 72:862-871, 2005.